Founding Members -First Dig September 2016
Founded on Wednesday 22nd June 2016
Group Leader: David Cusworth
Dig Leaders: Steve Hammond & Brian King
Mentors: Sean Dennis & Peter Dight
There is NOW a WAITING LIST to JOIN THIS GROUP
Meets on the 1st Wednesday every month – 6.30pm at Ramsey Golf & Bowls Club – Digs on 1st & 3rd Thursdays
————————-Click here for useful advice to new Detectorists—————————
- All members of this group must be fully paid up members of Ramsey & District U3A
- All members of this group must be fully paid up members of NCMD –The National Council for Metal Detecting http://www.ncmd.co.uk – It is this membership that provides us individually with the necessary public liability insurance of £10M.The membership page is http://www.ncmd.co.uk/membership.htm Scroll down the page and use the ‘drop down box’ provided……
- Equipment insurance is the owner’s own responsibility
- Search Agreements must be obtained from landowners on behalf of Ramsey & District U3A Metal Detecting Group, not in the name of individual members.
- Finds of value (reportable finds) will be shared equally with the members taking part in that designated search, at the time of the find being made.
- Our rules will be amended and added to only by decisions of the members and at a monthly meeting.
- Monthly Meetings to be held on the second Wednesday of each month, except August
- Each Member will pay £1 per month (collected at the monthly meeting)
- The Group Leader must be informed of any dig that takes place on U3A permissions prior to it taking place.
- The group leader must be informed of any relevant finds from U3A permissions at the regular monthly meeting
Useful links supplied by Peter Dight:
The Story So Far……
2018 started with the great news of new permissions in the St Ives, Houghton and Wyton areas. but our first outing was to Peter Dight’s test beds in St Ives where all members were invited to learn more about their equipment, discrimination and responses. A hardy bunch braved the cold and had a most informative morning.
This was repeated on 8th of March for those members who were indisposed at the first session.
Our grateful thanks go to Peter Dight for his generosity and hospitality and we are lucky to have been able to adopt him as another mentor to the club, alongside Sean Dennis.
On 15th March we had our first official dig of the 2018 season and chose the piece of land that had been partially stripped by Mick George and was the location of a secret wartime airfield.
It was a really cold morning and the ground was waterlogged, however we did get to detect on the spoil heaps. Let’s hope the weather improves before our next dig on 29th March when we will turn our attention to the principal permission that we have at Park Farm and another part of the secret airfield.
Park Farm Finds: